Thursday, January 21, 2010

How can I know I am saved?

Question from Beverly:

I was baptized when I was a real small child. I followed my brother down the aisle. Later when I was a young adult I got serious about following Jesus. In my heart I doubt that I'm really a Christian. Now I wonder if I'm really saved! How can I know?

Answer from Pastor Bob:

We base our salvation upon the truth of God's word, not our feelings. First John 3:19-20 (ESV) says, "By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him; for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything."
So we don't follow our hearts, because our hearts may lead us astray; we let God's word lead our hearts.
Do you need a test? We read in 2 Corinthians 13:5 (HCSB): "Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith. Examine yourselves. Or do you not recognize for yourselves that Jesus Christ is in you?-- unless you fail the test." So the test is "Jesus Christ is in you." That comes by faith and trust. Notice what it says in 1 John 5:13 (HCSB): "I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life." Did you trust in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and Him alone, to save you from sin? Then according to scripture you can know that you have eternal life in heaven.
Stand on the truth of God's word, not what your heart feels at the moment. Let faith be the engine that drives your life, and feelings will the caboose that will come along in due time.

No comments:

Post a Comment